To gain expertise in technical and operational aspects of tankers in fleet service as well as the system of maritime regulations that especially apply to oil and chemical tankers in the fields of ship security and protection of the marine environment.
Basic knowledge of the shipping industry and maritime regulations
Who should attend:
Duration: 1 day
Participants are given an overview of current and future developments, and aspects in tanker operation and amendments to IMO conventions, as well as IACS requirements.
Practical case studies derived from ship operation are used to enhance the presented material. In addition, revised MARPOL Annex II and IBC Code and their impact and consequences on the fleet are dealt with.
The course focuses on:
- Tanker types, design and construction
- Relevant organisations and regulations concerning tankers (e.g. IMO, IACS, OCIMF, SOLAS, MARPOL, IBC Codes)
- Plan approval, newbuilding supervision, surveys and certificates
- Technical and operational aspects (e.g. cargo operation, tank cleaning, ballast operations, environmental aspects)
- Safety aspects (e.g. gas-freeing of cargo tanks, tank inspection, fire protection and firefighting)