The purpose of this training is to improve the quality of your hull inspections during supervision of ship newbuilding. During the course you will learn about basic hull strength, the process of an inspection, techniques and focus points. Through DNV GL’s Survey Simulator you will also experience hull in operation damages which appear as a consequence of design or manufacturing defects.
Who should attend:
Duration: 2 days
SurveySimulator, is an innovative software solution to train people to carry out visual inspections in a more comprehensive, efficient and safe way. SurveySimulator makes practical training possible without leaving the classroom. Thousands of deficiencies placed on virtual vessels are available for training purposes. Deficiencies are both safety-related and of a technical nature. The deficiencies are based on DNV GL’s global inspection experience from hundreds of real-life inspections carried out every year.
SurveySimulator features high reality 3D Models. Four detailed 3D models of vessels are available for realistic survey simulations. Every vessel in SurveySimulator is a reflection of a real ship or structure. With extreme care, our specialists designed every single detail from the hull structure to the smallest screw. Each vessel includes several survey areas (spaces, tanks, etc.) – typical for that ship type.
The course focuses on:
- Ship hull structure theory (simple beam model, loads, stresses and fatigue
- Naming of ship structure according to IACS glossary
- Hull fabrication standards
- Planning & preparation for inspection
- Reading and understanding hull drawings
- Typical design and manufacturing defects
- Consequences of defects on hull operation
- Repairing of defects
- Reporting of hull inspections
- Practical inspections of NB hull section (using DNV GL’s SurveySimulator)