To provide a basic understanding of problems of general cargo and heavy-lift operations.
Basic knowledge about stability
Who should attend:
Duration: 1 day
The course focuses on the problem of stability when loading or discharging heavy cargo units and the discussion of practical aspects of loading and discharging.
Participants without nautical background will gain a better understanding of particular operations and decisions of the master.
The course focuses on:
- Short recapitulation of basics of stability (inclining and uprighting moments, stable and unstable equilibrium)
- Knowledge of relevant regulations
- Aspects of naval architecture of multi-purpose ships
- Change of stability during heavy-lift operations
- Problem of unstable equilibrium with negative GM
- Inclining moments and counter measures (ballast, stability pontoon, supporting leg)
- Practical aspects of stowage of heavy-lift units
- Basic knowledge of securing cargo